Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio/Midi system - RT prios..

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 17:41:46 EET

> The biggest advantage of course is not having to run
> an RT MIDI timing thread. My impression is that this
> aspect of MusE (which does that, I think) causes
> as many configuration problems for its users as using
> ALSA sequencer queue timers does for Rosegarden's.
>
> Any more thoughts on this?

several people have wanted JACK to export a thread create call that
would take care of the RT-ness. that way, if you can run JACK with RT
scheduling, you can run a MIDI thread too, with no extra steps. it would
also be useful for people doing FFT in JACK clients using a separate
thread.

i don't agree with florian that the MIDI thread should run with higher
priority than the JACK watchdog, btw. i think the watchdog should be
higher than anything else until such a time as the kernel guarantees
"watchdog" functionality itself.

--p