Re: [linux-audio-dev] VST compiled for linux / gui message loop

From: jorgen <support@email-addr-hidden-hq.com>
Date: Sat Jan 07 2006 - 18:32:36 EET

torbenh@email-addr-hidden wrote:

>On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 02:43:24PM +0100, jorgen wrote:
>

>>torbenh@email-addr-hidden wrote:

>>>:) cool welcome abord. so you ported vstGUI ?
>>>how will that work ?
>>>does a vst plugin coder only recompile his plug then ?
>>>

>>No, I have made my own toolkit based on xlib calls. The host (energyXT2)
>>will pass a xlib Window handle that I use as a parent when calling
>>XCreateWindow:
>>
>> case effEditOpen:
>> if (!editor)
>> editor = new CEditor(app, 0, wsChild | wsNoBorder, "",
>>100, 100, 200, 200);
>>#ifdef WIN32
>> SetWindowLong (editor->handle, GWL_STYLE,
>> (GetWindowLong (editor->handle, GWL_STYLE) &~ WS_POPUP)
>>| WS_CHILD);
>> SetParent(editor->handle, HWND(ptr));
>>#endif
>>#ifdef linux
>> XReparentWindow(dp, editor->handle, (Window)ptr, 0, 0);
>> editor->parentWnd = (Window)ptr;
>>#endif
>> editor->show();
>> result = 1;
>> break;
>>

>why dont you open a separate display connection for the plugin ?
>then you can even move the gui updates to a different thread and there
>you go...
>
>look into gtkplug.c and gtksocket.c on how this works.

I do open a separet connection for display in my toolkit and gui updates
are already working by the dispatcher code in effEditIdle. If gtk can
create a thread for gui updates than it sounds like it will work, but a
gui update thread for each plugin? Whats the performance loss, I mean a
typical song projects has 10-30 plugins.