Re: [linux-audio-dev] things to port to the gp2x ..

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 14:14:07 EET

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:12:30PM +0100, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> >How's its float performance? Older ARMs have very bad/non-existant floating
> >point support.
> >

> i would wager that floating-point is not its forté, but rather than
> give you an opinion, what would be got a good float-performance
> benchmark that i can run on it to give you some real figures? is
> there a preferred stdout-style C app i can run that'll give us some
> real figures?

Just write some code that does a bunch of float mutiplies on an array and
time them.

The maximum peak performance of a modern CPU is 1 or 2 cycles per
multiply, but in practice memory bandwidth throttles that. 10 might be
more typical at a rough guess.

Writing DSP code for integer platforms is extremly tedious, and I dont
think you will want to port any float code to an integer only platform.
Best to look for code that allready works in ints.

- Steve