Re: [linux-audio-dev] things to port to the gp2x ..

From: Alfons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 14:38:45 EET

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:14:07PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:

> The maximum peak performance of a modern CPU is 1 or 2 cycles per
> multiply, but in practice memory bandwidth throttles that. 10 might be
> more typical at a rough guess.

For most intensive DSP applications, PCs are limited by memory bandwidth.

> Writing DSP code for integer platforms is extremly tedious,

Having done a lot of it (fixed point, on ARM), I'd disagree. But It is
certainly different. If you want good fixed point performance, you have
to write some of the inner loops in assembly. Not that this is a problem
- ARM assembly is a pure pleasure compared to Intel. And there a lots of
little computation that can be expressed more easily in assembler than
in C/C++.

> and I dont
> think you will want to port any float code to an integer only platform.

That's absolutely correct. You have to design your algorithms from the
start for integer / fixed point.

--
FA