Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] caps-0.3.0

From: Giuseppe Zompatori <siliconjoe@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 09:48:38 EET

Hello Tim,

A couple of concerns with your guitar related plugs:

Speaking about the compile flags you use for caps -O6 does nothing
more than -O3 and from -O2 upwards there's no need to specify
"-funroll-loops", also -O3 often bloats the generated code
unecessairly making it slower than -O2 AFAIK.

Why introduce PSU emulation (not that it's a bad thing in itself) when
you're still not simulating what makes a guitar sound sweet, namely
output valves?
I've been looking at the source code and it seems you're just
simulating a single 12AX7 preamp having weird tone stacks... In
reality I've never seen something like that in other than valve based
distorion/pedeal boosters...
It would be cool to have amps based on real good sounding amps models
where you have different preamp stages with the tone stack placed at
different gain stages, or more simply preamp voicings, like say the
difference you find between fender, marshall, vox,mesa boggie and
soldano preamps sections, and then model the output stage with the
same valves arrangements and data from the actual valves like say EL34
for marshalls and 6L6 for fender/mesa/vox/soldano/whatever...
It is in the output section valves that the real "juice" comes out in
a real amp, and it's the place where the different valve types and
arrangements can make a huge difference, like class a vs cass ab,
single ended vs parallel and push pull...

I quickly gave a try to AmpV and AmpIV using a DI box, and had issues
with the gain settings of those plugins, the more I rise the knob the
more it gives me a farty distortion up to the point where the sounds
disappears completely. I've tried this with gcc 3.2 and gcc 4.0.2. The
new cab sims sound much better than the older models though, nice job
you did there!

Due to frustration with free as in freedom guitar amp sims, I recently
bought one of those
http://www.behringer.com/LX1-PRO/index.cfm?lang=ENG, it's a pity
there's nothing even coming close to it in the free world up to now :(

Cherrs,

-Giuseppe