Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] caps-0.3.0

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 11:36:42 EET

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 08:48:38 +0100, Giuseppe Zompatori wrote:
> Hello Tim,
>
> A couple of concerns with your guitar related plugs:
>
> Speaking about the compile flags you use for caps -O6 does nothing
> more than -O3 and from -O2 upwards there's no need to specify
> "-funroll-loops", also -O3 often bloats the generated code
> unecessairly making it slower than -O2 AFAIK.

That's often true, but in some experiments I did with an older gcc and a
Pentium III, -O3 came out better than -O2 on average for plugin code.
Generally the inner loop is quite small, so even when bloated it still
fits in the cache. Those experimetns should be repeated on up to date
architectures and compilers though.

I had the intention of writing a script to try different optimisation
flags on each plugin to find better settings, but then I decided it was a
waste of effort, and it would just make the Makefile huge.

- Steve