Re: [linux-audio-dev] synthesis on gp2x .. (was Fwd: RE: [gpx-dev] hardware interfaces)

From: Jacob <jacob01@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 21:06:43 EET

Hello,

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:38:23AM +0100, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> At 5:14 +0100 13/1/06, David Olofson wrote:
> [...]
> the GP2X sure is fun. i have two now, and another two on their way
> for siblings/family ..
>
> >Are there any restrictions WRT which Linux drivers are available? (I'm
> >thinking external USB devices and the like.) Does it support (USB)
> >keyboards and mice? (A foldable rubber keyboard and some sort of
> >tracker-like sequencer could be useful. Or is there a foldable rubber
> >MIDI/USB keyboard out there somewhere?)
>
> the only restrictions are what you can get compiled to run on the
> included 2.4.24 kernel .. and the USB is definitely usable for
> peripherals, once you've made (or obtained/bought) an EXT breakout
> cable for the job .. i've got one for Serial/MIDI .. adding Video,
> Audio, and USB to it this week ..

Sounds great, but I'm a little bit confused by other information I found
on the web about USB host mode support:

citing from http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=20717:

  I/O Ports: Headphones, USB (not powered), EXT, DC Power (possibly SDIO
  in the future) *note* it may be possible to use self-powered USB
  peripherals with GP2X, i.e. USB hubs & harddrives etc.

  USB Peripherals: Recent information unfortunately reveals the GP2X
  does NOT feature USB host mode due to the chip implementation used in
  the final design.

Where can I find information on how to make such a EXT adaptor cable
that provides USB host mode IO with current of-the-shelf gp2x?

TIA.

ciao,

Jacob