Re: [linux-audio-dev] Additional chunks in WAV files with libsndfile ?

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 00:02:23 EET

fons adriaensen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> is there a recommended way to write / read additional chunks in
> WAV files, using libsndfile (assuming it's possible at all - I
> didn't find any hints to this in the docs) ?

libsndfile already supports the addition of a number of specific
chunk types like PEAK, strings in the INFO chunk etc.

> What I need in particular is some way to calibrate the time
> axis - i.e. to say frame #N corresponds to t = 0, and some
> other similar info, mostly sample indices.

There is no existing chunk type which does what you require. In
addition, it would be a bad idea to define your own custom
chunk type to do this.

However, it would be possible to add a comment string containing
the data you require as a text string. See:

    http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/api.html#string

HTH,
Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo
"The object-oriented model makes it easy to build up programs by
accretion. What this often means, in practice, is that it provides
a structured way to write spaghetti code." -- Paul Graham