Re: [linux-audio-dev] Additional chunks in WAV files with libsndfile ?

From: fons adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 01:08:11 EET

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 09:02:23AM +1100, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> fons adriaensen wrote:
>
> > What I need in particular is some way to calibrate the time
> > axis - i.e. to say frame #N corresponds to t = 0, and some
> > other similar info, mostly sample indices.
>
> There is no existing chunk type which does what you require. In
> addition, it would be a bad idea to define your own custom
> chunk type to do this.

Would it ? It solves the problem, and all other apps will - or
at least _should_ according to the WAV spec - just ignore it.
What problems would be created by adding a new chunk ?
The alternative would be a format that isn't standard at all.

> However, it would be possible to add a comment string containing
> the data you require as a text string. See:
>
> http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/api.html#string

Yes, been there before I posted. It's probably a matter of taste,
but I don't find this much cleaner than adding a new chunk.

Thanks for the suggestions !

--
FA