Re: [linux-audio-dev] Additional chunks in WAV files with libsndfile ?

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 01:51:37 EET

fons adriaensen wrote:

> Would it ? It solves the problem, and all other apps will - or
> at least _should_ according to the WAV spec - just ignore it.
> What problems would be created by adding a new chunk ?
> The alternative would be a format that isn't standard at all.

The problems are as follows:

   - There are many very broken WAV (and AIFF) file parsers.
   - There is no central registry of the chunk names and hence
     your chunk name may colide with a current or future chunk
     name defined by someone else.

> > http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/api.html#string
>
> Yes, been there before I posted. It's probably a matter of taste,
> but I don't find this much cleaner than adding a new chunk.

It has the advantage of being robuts, future proof and usable
now.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo
C++: The power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade.