Re: [linux-audio-dev] Programming Synth Knobs?

From: peter <zenadsl6252@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 01:56:30 EET

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 14:21 +0100, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
> Ok, so the knobs where rendered with Blender. Whatabout the rest?

i've been using blender, inkscape and the gimp. (BIG? =)
the knobs and a basic button in blender, everything else in the gimp and
inkscape (mainly the gimp)

> It's been a while since the last time I used Blender. I was a bit disappointed
> that I had to find workarounds for so many things which were not (directly)
> supported, like rendering glass material for example.

This could still be the case but I'm largely ignorant of blender outside
of basic
modelling and animation.

> Since then I "emulated" 3D pix with a vector graphic drawing tool like
> Inkscape. Which sometimes brings you faster to get what you want and
> sometimes not.

yeah, i hear that. true 3D work often looks a bit.. _dead_ somehow too.
i wanted a tactile knob for this UI though, and blender did the job well
enough.
(i don't think you could create a comparable knob with a vector or 2d
tool)
but for the rest, vector and 2d pixel work is easier and perhaps even
the better
option.

> But hey, doesn't Qt4 finally support .svg rendering? Aliasing
> free scaling of skins / themes, isn't that cool?

sure is. although svg doesn't work well for low res detail for the same
reason that blender
doesn't. which is why i used the gimp's sharpen tool on the knobs and
touched up the
keyboard. If you need HQ scalability then svg is the way to go but i'd
expect anything based on svg to be less detailed and more expensive.
neither are necessarily bad and
creative application can help a lot but it's suitability depends on your
requirements.
the fact that i'm crap at vector GFX meant that i didn't really consider
using it much either ;)

so.. i

Cheers,
Pete.

--
paugh on irc.freenode.org in #sweep, #lad