Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: OT -- USB History

From: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 18 2006 - 16:09:22 EET

Christoph Eckert wrote:

>Hi Daniel,
>

>>>The problem of the freebob project is that it mainly depends on the
>>>personal engagement of Daniel Wagner. If he decides to found a
>>>family, I fear the project will be relatively dead.

I object ;)

I think that even when Daniel would stop, the project wouldn't die.

And isn't this the main problem with all (starting) open-source projects?

>>He, you must know more than I do? :) Where is that girlfriend now?
>>

>Hehe ;-) .
>
>Just for clarification: Your work is *much* appreciated, and I'm already
>lurking around freebob since I've seen your impressive talk at the LAC.
>For the time being I bought an Edirol UA-25, but a FW device still is
>on my wishlist :) .

If I make it to LAC this year, I'll bring along a setup that might even
impress you more ;)

Freebob works, it works lot better than last year. and it has a lot of
new functionallity.
I think the current code is very (u)s(t)able, although I don't know what
the people actually using it think ;)

>>Fortunately, Pieter Palmer is also hacking on this project. I still
>>hope that someone helps a bit out with the ALSA part (this is a
>>hint...).
>>

>I wish I could. Can it be written in docbook ;-) ?
>

>>> And finally even the Edirol
>>>FA-101 "only" offers 10 inputs.
>>>

>>It is possible to 'stack' devices. You can use two devices for
>>example. They appear as one sound card.
>>

>Even in conjunction with JACK? This would be very cool news.

I can confirm that this works. I can confirm that a 18 in / 18 out
device composed of two terratec phase88's works ;)
At this point only JACK is supported, not ALSA. But I'm planning to
implement ALSA support after my skiing trip this week.

Greets,

Pieter Palmers