[linux-audio-dev] [ANN] No More Specimen

From: Pete Bessman <ninjadroid@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 04:13:25 EET

Ladies and Gents,

I can hack specimen while working full time. And, I can hack specimen
while studying full time. But, and this is empirically verifiable, I
can't hack specimen while both working and studying full time. And my
situation is not likely to change for another year or so.

What this means is that I'm just not cut out to run a project right now,
unless I want to put it into maintenance mode. Really, that's where
specimen has been for the past six months anyway, and I've been doing a
rather piss poor job at that modest role! My efforts are better applied
to tasks where smaller chunks of time can go a greater distance.

I don't have any regrets --- this was my first real programming project,
and I learned a lot. But the truth is that LMMS is more specimen than
specimen right now, and it has an active development and user community
surrounding it. Plus, I've always been a musician and an artist first,
and a programmer second.

All told, it's time to throw in the towel on this one. In a way, this
is a bummer --- I've put a lot of sweat and tears (literally) into this
project over the past couple of years, and it has come an incredible
distance. But I'd be a fool to think that I'm better off keeping it
afloat than making music and contributing to other projects.

And truthfully, it's a huge relief to get this announcement out. A
sense of obligation is what kept me from making it sooner, but in
retrospect, that's pretty ridiculous. Considering that I'm an "open
source, just for fun" guy, and not a "free software, as in freedom"
type, it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep going when pain exceeds
pleasure.

This isn't the end of my open source music development, however. I hope
to help take LMMS to the next level, and contribute to other projects
that will help make Linux a competitor in the music industry. Things
like ardour2, lash, jack-midi, vst, dssi, ladspa et al are the keys to
our future in this regard. And I look forward to getting back to
hardcore hacking in a few years, when I've got my life settled down and
I'm not putting in 80 hours of work and school a week.

Take care everybody, and may the funk be with you.

--
Pete Bessman
http://gazuga.net