Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Which widgets?

From: Albert Graef <Dr.Graef@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 21:38:04 EET

Jussi Laako wrote:
> For any free form rendering I use Cairo or OpenGL nowadays. Better
> performance and you get antialiased lines etc practically for free. And
> what's most important, you don't have to care about pixel coordinates or
> resolutions anymore (esp. in OpenGL).

Canvases give you much more than just rendering. They also manage the
graphical objects that you created and, if anything changes, rerendering
the changed parts happens automatically. Moreover, they let you inspect
the object model of the rendered graphic. Does Cairo do that for you?
OpenGL can do something like this with its display lists, but that's a
very low-level abstraction compared to what canvas widgets offer.

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany