Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] arcangel (and result of widget discussion)

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 19:48:30 EET

On Wed, 01 Mar, 2006 at 05:26PM +0100, Lars Luthman spake thus:
> On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 09:10 +0000, james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Feb, 2006 at 10:19PM +0100, Julien Claassen spake thus:
> > > Hi James!
> > > Could you do a ladspa-plugin for it?
> >
> > OK. I just hope writing LADSPA plugins is less of a challenge than
> > writing LADSPA hosts.
>
> It is - the whole point of a plugin system is to let the host do as much
> of the plumbing as possible so the plugin writer can focus on whatever
> it is that the plugin should be doing. LADSPAs still need a certain
> amount of boilerplate code to work though, but you should be able to
> just steal that from an existing plugin. Or you could use this library
> that I use for my plugins:
>
> http://ll-plugins.sourceforge.net/dsl/dssi-support-libs-0.5.35.tar.gz
>
> It's mostly for DSSIs, but it contains a small static library that you
> can link with to create LADSPA plugins as well. The code for a basic
> LADSPA plugin would then look something like this:
>
> http://ll-plugins.sourceforge.net/dsl/0.5.35/html/classLADSPAPlugin.html#_details
>
> The library has not been released yet, so no backwards compatibility is
> guaranteed - if you want to use it the best way may be to simply steal
> ladspaplugin.hpp and ladspaplugin.cpp from the source package and
> compile them with your plugin.

Thanks. This actually sounds like a great idea. Fancy doing one for
LADSPA hosts, too? :)

Don't be offended, but I probably won't use this. I've been meaning
to try writing a LADSPA plugin for a while and this is a good excuse.
After the first go, I'll certainly be looking for ways to minimise
effort but this time I want to see all the details.

James

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)