[linux-audio-dev] Old Specimen mockups

From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 15:08:13 EET

Hi!

Specimen might be dead or in keep-functioning-maintainance only,
and work based on these mockups had been canceled before due to
them being too time consuming to implement and doubts on
extendability, anyway :(

BUT, instead of them just bit-rotting on my hd, I rather present
them here, since they could still be an inspiration to someone :)

1. Keys and Main:
http://xs71.xs.to/pics/06102/specimen_18_keys_main_i.png

2. Mixer and Pitch:
http://xs71.xs.to/pics/06102/specimen_18_mixer_pitch_i.png

Like in the actual Specimen, all sliders are fan-sliders.
(http://leute.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/en/fan-sliders/index.html)

On the left there are 16 MIDI channels down. The numbers also
act as MIDI activity indicator (3 is receiving something).
They're followed by volume slider, mono, solo and name.

The selected channel (1) is connected to the Keys/Mixer area.
This works a bit like tabs, but allows that section to come
up from the sunken field, resulting in cleaner look.
It's all meant to be GTK theming friendly.

On the keys area, Patches are assigned to keyboard ranges.
They can be put in columns to allow layering. The base note is
marked (D here, could have made that more obvious).
The selected Patch is shown in inverted colour.

The Mixer area is a bit redundant as it is shown here.
Initialy it was meant to not just allow access to panning over
what the channels section on the left offers, but also Cut/Cut by
(a more versatile, but not exactly self explaining system than
exclusion groups, used for cutting off a open hi-hat on a closed
one and similar things). Every selection of Parameters could be
shown in that table, though.

The right section shows the selected Patch. It was a goal to
keep the Specimen window rather small to make using it with other
apps more handable, so a number of tabs were needed.

The not shown Volume, Panning, Cutoff and Resonance tabs
would be much like the Pitch one. Contents of that tab should be
pretty selfexplainatory, or it's no good anyway :)

The 3 sections layout and the Keys area where all my own idea, but
Pete Bessman's influence and decisons are all over the place.

Cheers,
Thorsten Wilms

---
http://xs.to - Free Image Hosting