[linux-audio-dev] CLI wanted - Need PCM to generic SBout on Smoothwall-2 stock kernel

From: muzak24h <cmatt77@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 15 2006 - 16:48:02 EET

3 reasons I am posting here:
- There are millions of DIY Linux firewalls running on light-kernels
(Smoothwall alone reports > million active installs) with no generic Sound
blaster support.
- Most users, even Linux CLI familiar like myself, will not trade security
to swap a kernel on a firewall and break the update mechanism that keeps
things secure.
- These millions of firewalls have CPU cycles to spare and sit around
waisting power and many users would like a way to do audio out. I have
posted over a year ago on the SW - UK forum and many are interested and
waiting.

What is needed:
- PIC timer-based code (8259 chip?) to ouput wav direct to SB-out with CLI
parms to set generic SB volume, filename, and loop option.

Perhaps I'm asking for too much?
- Maybe, even pointers in the right direction would help. In fact, if this
is easy... just post it in "homebrew mods" at smoothwall.org's community
forum.
- I will take positive responses here, and duely credit them - This is for
everyone!

Sent from the linux-audio-dev forum at Nabble.com.