Re: [linux-audio-dev] What is currently the best USB audio interface for Linux?

From: Clemens Ladisch <clemens@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 21 2006 - 10:42:04 EET

ico wrote:
> I am in the process of considering a portable USB audio interface. Having
> checked the alsa matrix, I am a bit at a loss what may be the best option.

Have a look at <http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdevcat.php?id=7>,
too.

> 2) Preferrably USB 2.0 capable

The only supported USB 2.0 device is the Creative Audigy 2 NX, and
high speed capturing is broken in all kernels before 2.6.17.
(But who cares about audio when the remote control works ... ;-)

> 4) High fidelity (higher the better)

Okay, forget USB 2.0 ...

> 5) More inputs/outputs, the better

USB 1.x bandwidth is quite limited. It's possible to transfer eight
channels of 16-bit audio at 48 kHz, but full duplex 24 bit stereo at
96 kHz is not possible.

> 6) Preferrably has some preamp inputs
> 7) Obviously must be supported in Linux/Alsa
> 8) Price not an issue

Have a look at the Edirol devices (except the UA-1000 or UA-101).

HTH
Clemens