[linux-audio-dev] Re: [ardour-users] Jack is Jacked

From: Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 30 2006 - 08:55:44 EEST

Quoting Mike Fisher <mrfisher_1@email-addr-hidden>:

> Gentoo Linux 2.6.10 kernel
>
> alsa-driver-1.0.10
> jack -0.100.7
> qjackctl-0.2.19a
>
> Nah... jack isn't really jacked. I just keep having a strange
> occurance.
>
> Everytime i start jack for the first time I get this message....
>
> cannot write to jackstart sync pipe 4 (Bad file descriptor)
> jackd: wait for startup process exit failed
> jackd 0.100.7
>
> and a pop-up in qjackctl that reads "Could not connect to JACK server as
> client. Please check the messages window for more info."

You probably have multiple versions of jack installed. Both in /usr and in
/usr/local/

Have you by any chance built jackd yourself (without specifying
--prefix=/usr to the "configure" script) and installed a version of jackd
from your distribution?

If yes, you should remove the one you don't want to use. Either remove the
package installed from your distribution via rpm or apt-get or whatever your
distro uses, or do a "make uninstall" from the jackd source directory you
built & installed jackd from.

  Sampo