Re: [linux-audio-dev] regarding the 2nd Book Of Linux Music & Sound

From: Hans Fugal <hans@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 30 2006 - 16:52:50 EEST

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 at 13:08 -0500, Paul Coccoli wrote:
> The type of info that would be in a second edition, in addition to the
> tutorial-style stuff mentioned in another post, would be a great
> reference for everyone if it were on-line and maintained by capable
> writers (like Dave). However, the current scattered and incomplete
> tutorials, Howtos, manuals, and wikis make me think that such a
> resource will never exist. I'm not blaming anyone for that, since I
> never contribute to those efforts either.

Need it always be so? Or can we get a little organized and greatly
improve the situation? My own opinion is that the community can do this
with a little organization and motivation. Someone well-repsected and
experienced in documenting (e.g. Dave) could head the organization, and
the publishing carrot would provide just enough motivation for many
people. Without the publishing carrot I think we would still benefit
from a little organization.

Dave, I have always enjoyed reading your articles and posts and of
course the linux-audio site. I don't have the old book, simply because
it was already too old when I came onto the scene. If you had the time
and energy to continue to be a one-man show I would be delighted. But
assuming you don't, as you have stated, let's consider organizing the
community into documentation cells. One or two people could be in charge
of a reasonably-sized topic with a lightweight organizational structure
(just big enough).

I have a friend who has done just this for the Asterisk community, and
in the end it ended up an O'Reilly book, so if we need any advice we can
ask them. asteriskdocs.org

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach