Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: GPL Audio Hardware

From: Richard Smith <smithbone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 03:52:26 EEST

> Frankly I think 60+ channels is completely unrealistic (otherwise one
> would probably exist), but what do I know. If it's possible, hell yes
> put them in there.

The hammerfall will do 52 so I don't see 60+ as that much of a stretch..

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hammer/d9652.htm

60 channels @192/24 is 35Megs/s. A SCSI cards and Gigabit ethernet
interface do much more than that. Perhaps you could not get super low
latency running all 60 channels. All 60 channels would take a minimum
of 300mS to move across the bus. You would need PCI 64/66 at that
stage. PCIe cuts that in half or a quarter if you do x2

Getting that to fly in an FPGA however may be the problem as you start
running into clock speed limits. And an ASIC suffers from the lack of
startup cash.

> FWIW, my ideal audio interface _requires_:

Thanks for the info.

> * At least 1 ADAT Lightpipe in/out

Where can I find the spec on this? Google finds lots of Lightpipes.

--
Richard A. Smith