Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 2

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 22 2006 - 20:06:26 EEST

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 17:30 +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 02:26:57PM +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> > Referencing:
> > There needs to be a safe way to reference plugins and their ports.
> > Portnames make for human readable patch files, but this doesn't
> > work with i18n, when Attack becomes Einschwingzeit ;)
>
> Plugins have URIs! And ports have uniqe identifying numbers within the
> plugin. We could assign URIs to ports too, but I think thats going too
> far.

I'm not going to suggest ID numbers go away, but I do think ports should
have a uniquely identifying string label. Primary reason being OSC
control, and using plugins in language bindings (ie python) - both
things that are getting much more prevalent now than when LADSPA first
arrived.

Noone wants to set the frequency of an oscillator with the OSC message
"/set oscillator/4 440" when they could "/set oscillator/freq 440". Or
plugin.port(4).set_value(440) when it could be
plugin.port("frequency").set_value(440). Code (or OSC messages) using
plugin indexes as IDs is completely unreadable.

This is actually very important to me, I would very much like unique
port string ID's for the above reasons unless there's a good reason
there can't be.

-DR-