Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA2: logarithmic hint

From: carmen <ix@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 29 2006 - 15:23:32 EEST

> > im sure this RDF/JSON/YAML thing can make a case for it
>
> Possibly, but I doubt the field of mathematics can ;)

possibly not. but, i'm not a mathematician :) i just know that toggling sliders between log and linear in PD, Bidule, Audiomulch etc can be useful, and some kind of hint from the plug which should be the default could be useful..

> if a is the users parameter UI control value in [0,1], u is the lower
> bound, v is the upper bound, and b is the log base, then:
>
> port val = ( (1-a) log(u) + a log(v) )^b
> = ( -a log(u) + log(u) + a log(v) )^b
> = log( ( u+v^a ) / u^a )^b
> = (u + v^a) / u^a
>
> so the log base cancels out.

when its 0-1, yes. what about 20-22050? i guess i wasnt clear on why you are convinced log hint is a bad idea. but given the above goblygook i gues i will never understand :)