[linux-audio-dev] Re: NAB trade show

From: Ben Loftis <ben@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 01:28:36 EEST

> So what did you see?

Not much honestly. Digi was demo'ing the new version of PT but they are just
playing catchup with the innovative companies at this point. The coolest
thing at the show was definitely Ardour, which we were using as a playback
and recording machine for our mixing consoles.

> One this I've been wondering is how do the 5.1 upmix boxes work? The
> ones that take in stereo and convert it to surround sound. The sales

There are infinite ways to do this and none of them make the music sound
better than stereo. OK I guess "better" is subjective but there's certainly
no "correct" way to do it. You can easily derive a center/sub channel but
most systems do something hideous when it comes to the rear channels.

-Ben Loftis
www.harrisonconsoles.com