Re: [linux-audio-dev] 3D fft analysis program

From: Uwe Koloska <koloska@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 15 2006 - 20:29:54 EEST

Am Montag, 15. Mai 2006 19:15 schrieb Lee Revell:
> > Ok, but I think GPL and purchase is a contradiction, isn't it?

I have had better said: GPL and purchasing the source is a contradiction,
isn't it?

> No, it's perfectly legal to sell GPL software.

Yes, but not the sourcecode. You can charge for handling and don't have to
provide a direct download, but you are not allowed to purchase the code. And
if the code is public anyone can give it away for free.

So, if they really have chosen to make the code available under the terms of
the GPL (and noone has forced them to do) they must follow the license and
can't make additional restrictions as you have stated.

Uwe