Re: [linux-audio-dev] Skype, ekiga, audacity, other audio util probs.

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 20 2006 - 18:22:45 EEST

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Paul Davis wrote:
>> On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 02:31 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> I should add another program which is crippled by this same problem
>>> Lee, is grip. It can rip a cd, but cannot play the cd even when
>>> not ripping it. And the ripped sound isn't up to the usual quality,
>>> often sounding as if the playback is of a file that over-drove the
>>> d/a in playback, or the a/d in the recording, eg clipped. A far cry
>>> from grips usual crystal clear results.
>>
>> i use grip and skype and they both work perfectly for me. i suspect that
>> your problem may be driver related rather than app related. i do not use
>> aoss - generally i have JACK running on my hdsp interface and leave the
>> builtin ICH5 interface for "consumer" applications (like skype, web
>> browser playback etc)
>>
>> --p
>>
> hdsp? Thats a new one on me. This is an HP Pavilion dv5329us, and has
> the ATI-IXP audio stuffs loaded. There is an HDSPconf in the kde
> mutlimedia menu's, but it doesn't run when its launched. Is it supposed
> to, or does it need something running as a pre-requisite?

I found that both HDSPMixer and HDSPConf were part of a previous 1.0.10
release of alsa-tools, and that this alsa-tools could be removed without
any dependencies on the rest of the alsa install. However, there is not
a replacement of this package for 1.0.11rcX.

Was this something thats supposed to address this chipsets apparent
inability to do full duplex audio?

--
Cheers, Gene