Re: [linux-audio-dev] ATI-IXP overdrives PCM

From: c <_@email-addr-hidden-your.name>
Date: Sat May 20 2006 - 20:07:29 EEST

On Sat May 20, 2006 at 09:27:56AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> often sounding as if the playback is of a file that over-drove the d/a in playback, or the a/d in the recording, eg clipped.
> the ATI-IXP audio stuffs loaded

the ATIIXP in my MSI exhibits this same issue. essentially, if the 'PCM' level is set to 100%, things are horribly overdriven. the solution is to set the Master to 100%, and adjust volume with PCM, instead of vice versa. i guess whether this is a hardware bug or a driver bug depends on if PCM is the last point of software contact with the stream and master trims the levels after that, or if PCM just does some multiplication on the bits before passing them to the Master..