Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] realtime-lsm 0.8.6 available via SourceForge

From: Jonathan Woithe <jwoithe@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 05:50:33 EEST

Jack O'Quin wrote:
> The kernel developers prefer their own rlimits solution for granting
> realtime privileges. Since that is their responsibility, I defer to
> their feelings. Since their solution requires PAM updates which have
> been very slow to appear in end-user distributions, I continue to
> provide this (simpler) solution via SourceForge for those who need it.

For reference there are alternative ways to gain access to the rlimits
functionality which don't rely on updated PAM (or login on PAM-less systems
such as Slackware). Set_rlimits, available at

  http://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~jwoithe/set_rlimits-1.2.0.tgz

is one alternative and has the advantage of operating on a
per-user/per-application level rather than a per-user level (ie: elevated
limits are set for users/groups running specified applications only). Yes,
it's slightly less convenient but it works and is arguably more secure.

Regards
  jonathan