Re: [linux-audio-dev] compiler problem?

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Fri May 26 2006 - 20:11:15 EEST

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 05:05 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> Since I can't get any of the common VoIP things to work due to a lack of
> duplex function in my lappy's chipset, and my inability to convince the
> person bugtrack assigned to my bugzilla entry that its not my fault, I
> thought I'd try zfone next.

Um, you never answered tiwai's last question.

"Grr, you make the things too complex. Let's sort out the thing
straight.

The duplex problem and the inproper recording are different things.
First, check whether both non-duplex playback and recording work
properly.

For checking playback, you can use speaker-test program in alsa-utils
package, too. Run "speaker-test -c2 -tw", for example.

As I mentioned, you can test recording of the played stream by setting
"Capture Source" to "Mix". It needs no extra hardware setup, so no hard
work after running a full marathon.

If the full-duplex works by this way, skype and other programs should
work as well -- as long as you set up the mixer correctly.

Anyway, don't use audacity or whatever apps might be using OSS emulation
for tests. They can't be used as references. Use basic tools included
in ALSA packages for primary tests."

We have to debug one thing at a time, and using the simplest possible
tools, rather than some huge VOIP app that goes through the OSS layer.

If you are not interested in debugging it further I will close the
report.

Lee