Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Midi Clock

From: Steve <radarsat1@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 20:47:51 EEST

It is a good idea, as long as your interface is relatively simple...
but what about when you want to do something that is sort of custom to
your interface, like for example showing the waveform on the screen by
sending peak or spectrum data.

you'll end up having to create a mini "custom" protocol over MIDI
using your own SysEx messages or something, so you may as well keep it
simple and use pipes..

However, yes, for very simple interfaces, like a few knobs and
sliders, it does make sense to use MIDI this way. You'd be building a
"controller" for your realtime synth process, for example, which is
exactly analagous to using an external controller for a hardware
synth.

Steve