[linux-audio-dev] Re: linux-audio-dev Digest, Vol 33, Issue 11

From: Ben Loftis <ben@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 16 2006 - 17:10:00 EEST

Hi Alex. What you're trying to implement is called an automixer. "Winner
Takes All" is probably not going to work as well as your original expander.
It will have problems when somebody coughs, drops their books, bumps the mic,
tries to interject, etc, because it will duck the current speaker. Here are
some of the subtleties that you might want to consider:

A "filibuster" function which guarantees that once a mic is gated on, it stays
on until the speaker has gone silent for a second or three, and it can't be
silenced by some other mic gating on.

An "AGC" (automatic gain control) algorithm on each mic that guarantees quiet
speakers and loud speakers have the same perceived volume in the recording.

Duck the unused mics a few dB instead of a fully gating them, or always leave
one mic open. The room ambience is important and it (kinda) proves the
recording hasn't been doctored.

I picked up an IED 8000-series automixer which does all these things on eBay
for $20.00. Dan Dugan also makes some nice ones. So if this is a one-shot
deal for a serious project, you may want to consider finding something
similar that is proven to work rather than rolling your own.

Just my $0.02
-Ben Loftis