Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: linux-audio-dev Digest, Vol 33, Issue 11

From: Alex Polite <notmyprivateemail@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 18 2006 - 21:58:39 EEST

On 6/16/06, Ben Loftis <ben@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi Alex. What you're trying to implement is called an automixer. "Winner
> Takes All" is probably not going to work as well as your original expander.
> It will have problems when somebody coughs, drops their books, bumps the mic,
> tries to interject, etc, because it will duck the current speaker. Here are
> some of the subtleties that you might want to consider:
>
> A "filibuster" function which guarantees that once a mic is gated on, it stays
> on until the speaker has gone silent for a second or three, and it can't be
> silenced by some other mic gating on.
>
> An "AGC" (automatic gain control) algorithm on each mic that guarantees quiet
> speakers and loud speakers have the same perceived volume in the recording.
>
> Duck the unused mics a few dB instead of a fully gating them, or always leave
> one mic open. The room ambience is important and it (kinda) proves the
> recording hasn't been doctored.
>
> I picked up an IED 8000-series automixer which does all these things on eBay
> for $20.00. Dan Dugan also makes some nice ones. So if this is a one-shot
> deal for a serious project, you may want to consider finding something
> similar that is proven to work rather than rolling your own.

Hi Ben. Thanks for your input. Since I don't have a high quality audio
card I want to remain in the digital domain for as long as possible. I
was thinking that I could fix the problem with coughs and such with
automation. The kind folks on the ardour list tells me that ardour
will let me do effect automation. I'll fool around with the faust code
Yann posted and get back to you guys when I hit a wall ;)

--
Alex Polite
http://flosspick.org - finding the right open source