Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Extension for Extra GUI Data

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 20 2006 - 01:57:43 EEST

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 11:25:52PM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 11:58:43PM +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> > What worries me is that LV2 is *not* going to solve the problem that
> > DR raised w.r.t. my "Moog" filter plugins.
>
> This particualr one I'm not worried about, as it's a know one, its all the
> subtle things noones realised yet, something like a plugin that does its
> delay in 24ths of a beat or something.

Aaarrrrrggghhh :-)

> > So the relation v->f is *exponential* (not logarithmic).
>
> Sure, the LADSPA LOG hint couldn't deal with this meaningfully anyway.

Not a problem. AFAIK, the hints do not describe the v->f mapping,
but rather the one between the widget and v. It's plain linear in
this case.

> > - it has a degree in music science and DSP,
> > - the meaning of the tags used is predefined by some standard.
>
> Or both if you really mess up :)

I'd love a plugin host with a degree...

> :somePort lv2:unit unit:octavePitch ;
> lv2:baseFreq 264.0 .
>
> It's not beyond the realms of the possible to describe the mathematical
> relationship between the octave pitch unit and Hz, but it's probably
> excessive.

A well-designed set of tags like the ones you show above would
probably solve 99.9% of all cases. But you can't expect anyone
to dream that up in a day. Which leads me to my main gripe with
LV2: it was defined much too fast. In a normal RFC process, you
present the problem, give interested parties at least a month
to consider it and write something that exceeds the quality of
a whim, and then take at least as much time to study the results
and comment on them before anything is decided.

--
FA
Follie! Follie! Delirio vano e' questo!