Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Extension for Extra GUI Data

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 20 2006 - 10:31:59 EEST

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 12:57:43 +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > :somePort lv2:unit unit:octavePitch ;
> > lv2:baseFreq 264.0 .
> >
> > It's not beyond the realms of the possible to describe the mathematical
> > relationship between the octave pitch unit and Hz, but it's probably
> > excessive.
>
> A well-designed set of tags like the ones you show above would
> probably solve 99.9% of all cases. But you can't expect anyone
> to dream that up in a day. Which leads me to my main gripe with
> LV2: it was defined much too fast. In a normal RFC process, you
> present the problem, give interested parties at least a month
> to consider it and write something that exceeds the quality of
> a whim, and then take at least as much time to study the results
> and comment on them before anything is decided.

I hope you dont have that impression, LV2 is not finalised, I tried to
make sure I had "draft" and "provisional" in the text, but I guess I
wasn't sufficiently clear, it is very much still up for discussion.
My feeling is that it is somewhere around the Last Call stage in W3C
speak. l-a-d fortunatly not having a formal standards process ;)

Also, the units stuff I alluded to obove is not, and will not be part of
the LV2 1.0 spec, it will come soon after and live as an extension.
My plan was to crib from the scientific communities work on representing
unit values in RDF, write an early draft and post it here. It is somewhat
orthogonal to LV2 itsself, so if someone else with more time feels
motivated to work on it, please do.

The situation with LV2 is that I have ported most of my LADSPA plugins (to
verify there were no blatant problems) to a version of the draft, and we
now have 2-3 partial host implementations of the current draft. That
doesn't cover the requirements of reference implementations to my
satisfaction.

So, just to be clear, nothing has been decided. The purpose of the website
it to encourage discussion.

- Steve