Re: [Jackit-devel] [linux-audio-dev] What valgrind says

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 02:05:43 EEST

On Mon, 26 Jun, 2006 at 10:16AM -0500, Jack O'Quin spake thus:
> On 6/25/06, Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> >> I have not looked closely at the code, but could it be considered an
> >> information leak if you're using a byte of unitialized data?
> >
> >If you ask me using a byte of uninitialized data is an error, period
> >(even if technically the value of that byte isn't relevant, as in this
> >case).
> >
> >Uninitialized /anything/ is just asking for trouble...
>
> libjack seems OK already, but there was an unitialied char
> written by jackd. I fixed that and committed it as [0.102.18].
>
> I don't have valgrind set up correctly on my new laptop. Could
> one of you please update to the latest SVN version and verify
> whether this fixes that warning message?

OK, since I brought it up I thought I'd better test it out. Sorry,
but I still get the same problem.

Compiling from the raw SVN-delivered source instead of emerging it
might have given a bit of a hint, though. Valgrind is now able to
give the location inside jack that the error occurs: client.c, line
240

I've attached a log from valgrind (includes my own debugging output,
easily ignored).

Hope that helps!

James