Re: [linux-audio-dev] fst, VST 2.0, kontakt

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 02 2006 - 14:36:43 EEST

Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>> Problem with linuxsampler license void its all about that infamous
>> exception clause on the README file, "that it may NOT be used in
>> COMMERCIAL software or hardware products without prior written
>> authorization by the authors."
>
> I find this thread very interesting, and I'd like to add a real life
> situation to it since we also seem to have linuxsampler devs following
> this.
>
> I play in band called Kinoko en Orbite. I'll spare you with the
> translation/explaination, it's not the point.
>
> My home studio is built with
> free/opensource/GPLed/whatever-you-call-it software and I intend to
> use my studio to make a record for my band. I also plan to actually
> use a lot of these same softwares on stage. In other words, I intend
> to make a commercial usage of linuxsampler since we'll get money in
> exchange of these CDs (through it will alo be available on
> jamendo.org), and we intend to make people pay for these concerts.
>
> Can I use linuxsampler for this purpose since according to the license
> I need to ask ?
>
> Could the situation be clarified at least for musicians like me who do
> not intend to build hardware, but who want to earn a living playing
> music with your software ?
>
> My live sessions in Paris are starting soon, and I plan to spend my
> summer recording with my band. This is something I need to know.

AFAICT, and in the way I definitively read it, the COMMERCIAL use in the
infamous linuxsampler license exception, refers ONLY to works in
software and hardware (i.e. embedded software) products. Using
linuxsampler for commercial *and* non-commercial music art (re)creation
is not an issue.

OTOH however, you MUST take special regard to the license terms of each
and any of the GigaSampler files that you're loading and rendering with
linuxsampler ;)

Cheers.

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela