Re: [linux-audio-dev] light C++ set for WAV

From: Lars Luthman <lars.luthman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 14:21:34 EEST

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 11:26 +0100, Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 Jul 2006 11:12, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:
> > Well, it is very thin though. Which is not a bad thing at all. One could
> > make ue of an arbitrary amount of more advanced C++ features if desired
> > though (i.e. templates parametrized with the type you want to read for
> > example, or operator<< and operator>> for reading and writing, etc.)
>
> operator<< and >>... ugh.

Operator overloading is lovely. When reading fixed size audio chunks a
function call syntax makes more sense though (how else would you specify
the chunk size? sndfile>>setw(1024)>>my_buffer is a bit too weird).

> > > Secondly, with regard to the method names, which do you prefer:
> > >
> > > - OpenRead
> > > - openRead
> > > - open_read
> >
> > vote++, i never cared for the more java style methodName convention.
>
> I think if your class is named LikeThis, then your method should be named
> likeThat (Java-style). If your method is named like_this, then your class
> should be named like_that (STL-style). Either is fine, but don't mix your
> dialects.

I use ClassNames and function_names all the time. I think it makes it
easier to distinguish between them.

> > > Since you're the only person who actually responded to the real
> > > meat of my email, I have to assume that you are the only person
> > > on this list with a love for C++ and hence the only one who
> > > should have any real input on this issue ;-).
> >
> > Nicely worded :)
>
> Mmm. For what it's worth, I write mostly C++ but have no problem with using
> the libsndfile C API. I don't really mind whether it has a C++ API as well
> or not. So yes, you probably should ignore me.

I agree - the libsndfile API is simple enough to fit into C++ code quite
nicely.

--
Lars Luthman - please encrypt any email sent to me if possible
PGP key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x04C77E2E