Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Akai's MPC4000 Sampler/Workstation Open Source Project

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 27 2006 - 23:51:33 EEST

On Thursday 27 July 2006 15:02, Renich Bon Ćirić wrote:

>>> that sucks. that really does. because my linux systems have the same
>>> rock steady timing as the MPC. actually, their timing is even better
>>> than the MPC. somebody must have made a mistake around here.
>>
>> i assure you, linux performs on par with "other public-domain RTOSes"
>> in the real-time department, in the right hands .. like all good
>> instruments ..
>
>Guys, one question that, I believe, has been answered before. Is the
>service manual enough to start the OS from scratch?

Finally, a question is raised that I can make a comment on, based on 55
years of chasing electrons around for a living. Yeah, I'm getting to be a
chrotchety old coot in my retirement years. :)

># Service Manual
>http://www.woralelandia.com/openmpc/service_manual

After spending about half an hour perusing that pdf, I can, as a C.E.T. who
has carved some code in a past life, say that the answer is a rather
resounding no. There is nowhere near enough there, without chaseing each
and every chip maker down and somehow acquiring all the interface
requirements. Properly specified, like we used to be able to get chip
info back in the 80's, I'd imagine that pdf would have to grow another
thousand pages.

># Where it all started
>http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=54825
>
>Thanks for all the help and comments! I am very glad to have joined this
>mailing list ;=)

I can't help but echo the reticence already expressed here regarding the
proprietary nature of this device. If Akai wants to make money on the
hardware by selling it to die-hard linux professional audio people, either
they do their own OS for it and charge whatever they think the whole
package is worth, or open the device up just as if it was a GPL piece of
software and be prepared to sell the hardware for a decent price after
assuming a sales level of x many units. I certainly don't see 3 grand
worth of parts, pcb, drive and silk screening there, far less in fact.

I suspect that there will be very little support offered by the average
liux coder if he knows the patches he writes will disappear into something
that is not going to be open-sourced.

From my viewpoint, Akai's legal dept., who is obviously controlling what
Renich can say, will see to it that the product fails. Its up to Akai to
make a liar out of me. If they would join the open source camp by
supporting the coders with all the info, publicly available to any and
all, that they will need to write the drivers this device will need,
distribute this OS under the GPL with a server that lets *anyone* download
it for free, or on a mailable cd for a couple of bucks american, while
selling the hardware for $1000 to $1500, and watch the hardware sales
blossum like our wild flowers along the interstate. Thats because the
unshackled coders will write stuff that stretches the limits of what the
hardware can do, just to see if they can. Its rather like climbing Mt.
Everest, because its there. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: