Re: [linux-audio-dev] Paper on dynamic range compression

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 19:04:07 EEST

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 05:29:20 +0200, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 09:14:26AM -0500, Andres Cabrera wrote:
>
> > Just to clarify the problem I'm encountering, here's a zoom in on the
> > processed wave, exactly at the point where gain reduction starts
> > occuring. This screenshot doesn't apply any of the methods proposed in
> > the paper, it shows the output of the plugin. This behavior occurs for
> > the Tap, SC1 and SC4 plugins in Ardour, Audacity and Rezound. All
> > processed files were saved at 32-bit floating point.
> >
> > www.geminiflux.com/Tap-processed.jpg

[I miseed the orignal posting, but went back i the archives and found it]

This is kinda interesting, but it's slightly peverse as some ofthe results
can be got by looking at the source! Though it's good to confirm what the
results actually are.

Like Fons I'm a bit concerned about the tests, 0dB square wave in
particular is worrying.

The point about latency is interesting. I did consider delaying the input
in the SC* plugins, but I guess that analogue compressors likly didn't
have it, and they're often considered to be the best so it can't be too
important.

Have you measureued the systemic delay of the waves compressor to verify
that it does have a delay line?

- Steve