Re: [linux-audio-dev] Paper on dynamic range compression

From: David Olofson <david@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 21:14:35 EEST

On Thursday 05 October 2006 19:59, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 07:07:34PM +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 05:12:20PM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> >
> > > The SC* plugins do the same as TAP (calculate the gain every 4
> > > samples),
> > > but I interpolate the gain values between each computation. The
> > > attch/deacay times were slow enough in my testing that it was OK
> > > to do
> > > that.
> >
> > It should be OK for all practical attack/release times. The only
> > penalty is 3 samples of delay on the gain change and maybe that's
> > to be avoided for a hard limiter. For a normal compressor it
> > should not matter.
>
> That is what, 90 microseconds at 44.1 kHz? I don't think there are
> any analog compressors that react anywhere near that fast. Don't
> worry about it :-)

I don't know how fast it *actually* is, but FWIW, my old Behringer
compressor/limiter has a lowest attack setting of 0.1 ms, and a
lowest release setting of 50 ms.

.------- http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples -------.
| http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine |
| http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine |