Re: [linux-audio-dev] about MIDI timing...

From: Stephen Cameron <smcameron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 17:02:51 EEST

--- Stephen Sinclair <radarsat1@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

[...]
> By the way, there are more ways to time things than just *sleep().
> For example, using sigalrm and setitimer.

>From the sleep(3) man page:

BUGS
       sleep() may be implemented using SIGALRM; mixing calls to alarm() and
       sleep() is a bad idea.

Not that there aren't more ways, just that using sleep() and
and using SIGALRM aren't necessarily different ways. It says
"may be", but on linuxes I know, sleep() _is_ implemented
via SIGALRM, I'm pretty sure. (Somebody correct me if I'm
wrong about that.)

And setitimer also uses SIGALRM, if you use it for real
(wall clock) time, so it's not really a different way
either.

Well, I guess there is the difference that the process isn't
necessarily put to sleep if you don't call sleep(), but the
timing mechanism is, so far as I know, the same in all three.

-- steve