Re: [linux-audio-dev] about MIDI timing...

From: Chris Cannam <chris.cannam@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 20:15:05 EEST

Clemens:
> Most sound cards don't have an internal timer that could be used for
> MIDI timing. ALSA uses whatever timer is configured, the default for
> this is the RTC timer.

It is? For ALSA sequencer queues? I thought the
default was system timer. Maybe it just depends on
the modules you have loaded.

My impression from Rosegarden users' reports has
been that trying to use the ALSA sequencer with the
RTC timer (something I've never bothered with myself:
I always use a 1000Hz system timer) is a reliable way
to lock up your system completely, with most kernels
from about 2.6.13 or so onwards.

I've been meaning to investigate with the latest ALSA
source and at least make a decent bug report for
ages, but you know the way it is, there are only
sixty hours in the day. It would be wonderful if some
excellent person had fixed it in the meantime.

Chris