[linux-audio-dev] about MIDI timing...

From: Mulyadi Santosa <a_mulyadi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 14:35:47 EEST

Hello list...

I am curious to research further about MIDI timing and here is something
I want to ask...

I wonder, if we missed the (MIDI?) event a bit (perhaps 1 miliseconds?),
what would happen? I guess it will be underrun? Or technically, do we
determine a playback as "choppy" by calculating the time difference
between sending two successive MIDI events? I don't know much about
this issue, so I will gladly receive any thoughts.

On the other hand, last night I observed how timidity++ works by using
strace and I found no *sleep() (nanosleep, msleep and friends). Does it
mean, major MIDI software synthesizers use non system sleep mechanism
for the timing? I also read that not all Linux kernel sound card driver
enable the internal card timer, thus the software must rely on system
timer. Is it correct?

thanks in advance for your help and attention.

regards,

Mulyadi