Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: alsa, oss , efficiency?

From: lemmel <lem0mel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 01 2006 - 23:32:57 EET

Le mercredi 01 novembre 2006 16:51, Kjetil S. Matheussen a écrit :
> Only the oss modules in the linux kernel are deprecated. Programs using
> the OSS api will still continue to work, currently most importantly
> because of the oss emulation module in alsa.
I knew that the oss module was deprecated, and I infered that using the OSS
mecanism was too deprecated :-P. Are sure [1]?
> If you should choose between alsa and oss, and the oss version works
> just as well, or better than the alsa version, choose oss, because its a
> more portable API than alsa.
What do you mean by "the oss version works just as well, or better than the
alsa version" ?
> However, if I were you, I would use sndlib, portaudio, jack, or some other
> higher level audio input/output library instead of oss or alsa.
Well, all the files, that I will play, will have the same charactistics, do I
really need to bother with an hi-level API [2] ?

[1] I noticed that a lot of applications still use OSS, and I thought it was
because the migration to ALSA was too complex.
[2] Futhermore I am afraid that an hi-level API will produce time drifts in
the playing.