[linux-audio-dev] Re: alsa, oss , efficiency?

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 01 2006 - 17:51:05 EET

lemmel:

> Hi everyone.
>
> for a project, we need to be able to play sound (at first look wav file), and
> we made several tests ; with a created stereo sound, we try to use alsa but
> the results doesn't fullfill our needs :
>
> sound played at the time, T, we want, and finished at the date, D=T+sound
> duration.
> (thi is a software with strict time constraints)
>
> The sound was always troncated (even with finished software such as xmms,
> amarok), and even randomly truncated, (sound created with audacity, and
> exported as WAV 16/32 bit etc).
>
> When we use OSS, all seems to be perfect.
>
> But, it seems that OSS is nowadays "deprecated", and consequently we shouldn't
> use OSS. What we can do ? Are our alsa results due to misconfigurations ?

Only the oss modules in the linux kernel are deprecated. Programs using
the OSS api will still continue to work, currently most importantly
because of the oss emulation module in alsa.

If you should choose between alsa and oss, and the oss version works
just as well, or better than the alsa version, choose oss, because its a
more portable API than alsa.

However, if I were you, I would use sndlib, portaudio, jack, or some other
higher level audio input/output library instead of oss or alsa.