Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: alsa, oss , efficiency?

From: David <dplist@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 02:08:57 EET

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:26:04 +0100
lemmel <lem0mel@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Le jeudi 02 novembre 2006 21:06, David a écrit :
> > Have you tried playing your file with the simple aplay command ?
> >
> > $ aplay test.wav
> >
> > It works fine here.
> It is the same for me, it works fine with aplay, but not with xmms
> and amarok ??!!!

As wise people already told you, different apps with different goals
behave differently ...

The test with aplay at least shows that your ALSA setup is ok and that
the flammable debate about ALSA vs OSS is not the point in your case.

If you want help here, you really should try to give a clearer
explanation of what you are trying to achieve. You are talking with
highly knowledgeable persons on this list, myself belonging to the
least knowledgeable ones, I am ordinarily part of the "silent lurkers".

What I could gather from this thread goes from "I can't play this wav
file" to "I need to link synchronous audio to magnetic resonance
imaging" (quotes are mine). Please try to clearly state your case or
you won't be answered in any helpful way.

> > If you can do without the on-the-fly generation of the sound clips,
> > it might be easier to have them preloaded, yes.
> What is "generation of the sound clips" ?

I was just supposing you could need to generate sound data from
realtime events/data. If your need is to "play" predefined sound data
when needed, then you're better off with keeping it in memory, as long
as its size remains compatible with your hardware.

HTH

--
David