[linux-audio-dev] OSS will be back (was Re: alsa, oss , efficiency?)

From: Hannu Savolainen <hannu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 02 2006 - 16:51:19 EET

Hi folks,

The "deprecated" OSS issue needs some clarification. It's just the
OSS/Free drivers that are still hanging around in the kernel. that are
depracated. They are based on 10 years old version of the OSS
architecture and lack all the improvements and features added during
past years.

However the real OSS by 4Front Technoliges is there to stay. While OSS
is "binary only" at this moment the situation is changing. We are about
to release OSS 4.0 under some open source license. We still need to
decide the exact license (GPL, CDDL, BSD or some combination of them)
before releasing the sources but that should happen in the near future
(maybe weeks or months).

The whole "OSS is depracated" issue is just marketing propaganda used
to enforce application developers to jump to the ALSA API. Without this
developers would stick with OSS which is several magnitudes easier API
to use.

OSS and ALSA are very different APIs. OSS is designed for professional
software developers who should get their job done within tight
schedules. For this reason it has strong device abstraction. Everything
that could be automated has been automated. ALSA in turn is designed for
hackers (in the 1st place) who like to tweak every possible detail of
the hardware. This means there is practically no device abstraction and
the application should be more or less aware of the capabilities of the
hardware. Which API works better depends on the nature of the
application. This decision should not be driven by some political issues
as today.

My message is that if you prefer OSS over ALSA then there is no need to
convert the code. OSS has been in the shadows during past couple of
years. However it will be back, We are working on an OSS version that
makes it possible to ALSA and OSS to co-exist. Both OSS and ALSA will be
_native_ code (no emulation). In this way all Linux audio applications
will work regardless of which API they use.

Best regards,

Hannu