Re: [linux-audio-dev] OSS will be back (was Re: alsa, oss , efficiency?)

From: James Courtier-Dutton <James@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 07 2006 - 02:29:42 EET

Paul Davis wrote:
> Hannu was the guy who made sound on linux possible in the first place.
> Have a little respect. OK, so he and others decided to try to make a
> business out of it, and they bowed down to NDA requirements from vendors
> as part of doing that. Many of us never liked the results of that
> decision, but its an understandable and, from some points of view, a
> defensible one too.

NDAs are not all bad. I signed an NDA with creative, and the result is
better support for open source drivers for Audigy and E-MU cards. I
choose the GPL license for my code, but I could have chosen any other
license I wanted.
I am not allowed to copy the datasheets themselves, but I can write
anything I like in the source code. I.e. comments etc.
So, I don't believe the argument that signing NDAs requires closed
source drivers.

James

P.S. For those interested, there is now an ALSA driver for the E-MU
1212m and E-MU 1820m.