Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sound processing objects architecture, is it possible?

From: Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 23 2007 - 18:14:02 EET

2007/1/23, Steve Harris <steve@email-addr-hidden>:

> On 23 Jan 2007, at 13:19, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:

> >> but a
> >> ports

> >> the
> >> situations.
> >>
> >> Not at all, at the very least it points out that the LV2 spec needs
> >> to be clearer, and probably needs better examples.
> >>
> >> - Steve
> >>

> > Well, maybe it's because I'm not very good at English :-)
> > However I have another question: how would a LV2 VST loader plugin
> > could communicate to the host a VST plugin info? This could be done
> > only via an extension?
>
> That's the slightly tricky part, the VST reflector would have to
> generate an RDF file describing all the VST plugins it knows about.
> That will work fine, and is not particularly difficult, but it could
> be made slicker with an extension that allowed the VST reflector to
> generate that file dynamically.
>
> > Then, if I understood correctly, such LV2 VST loader plugin, when
> > asked for effects, should return a list of all effects of all VST
> > plugins it knows about?
>
> Yes, it can just return the URIs of all the installed VST effects as
> return values of the lv2_descriptor() calls. The host calls it
> repeatedly until it's found all the effects.
>
> - Steve

Just some last questions and I'll stop shouting and fooling around :-)

This issue should also have been faced with vstserver, fst and so, but
I never used them, so I'm just asking (I'm doing all of these because
I'm working on a DSP program): how would a LV2 VST loader handle VST
plugins with various effects, banks and programs, expecially in the
case (if any and/or possible) where such plugin makes some fades when
changing while playing (real-time processing)?

Then... I see in VST docs that a getInputLatency and getOutputLatency
functions are defined. I think that these could be used as extensions
on a LV2 host, but such values are to be trusted under wine?

And what about the combination of LASH and VST storing system?

Anyway, thanks a lot!

Regards,

Stefano