Re: [linux-audio-dev] Python

From: Stephen Sinclair <radarsat1@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 05 2007 - 22:07:05 EET

> Highly doubtful. Python is fantastic for lots of jobs. This isn't one of
> them.

Python isn't so good at real-time audio jobs, but I think it would be
pretty decent as an audio "control" language. Using it to specify
networks of C-code unit generators that run indepedently, then
fielding OSC/MIDI messages, etc., changing parameters.

I guess there are a lot of languages that do this kind of thing. Snd
is an example of a Lisp-like language for these tasks. SuperCollider
is pretty nice, and definitely worth exploring.

However, for sample-level control, you want C/C++, for example with
STK/RtAudio, or a sound language like Csound. Lately I have been
exploring Chuck, which so far seems fantastic. The time-based control
it gives you is really simple and nice to work with.

I think a good project would be to write a Python interface to a Chuck
VM. Use Python to program a GUI which modifies variables of a Chuck
run-time.

Anyways, some things to think about. As Paul said, Python can do lots
of things, but real-time audio is not one of them. Right tool for the
job, and all... but you have lots of tools available. I recommend
exploring them.

Steve